Can't Flash RevPi Core S with new image

Topics about the Hardware of Revolution Pi
evangelion2100
Answers: 0

Can't Flash RevPi Core S with new image

Post by evangelion2100 »

I'm currently evaluating the RevPi Core S as replacement for RevPi Core 3(+) for our company and I'm failing to flash the image. I have installed the most recent version of rpiboot_setup.exe and I'm using Windows 10

My usual way with RevPi Core 3(+) was to use BalenaEtcher to flash the device with a new image, but with RevPi Core S it seems like Etcher does not support it anymore. The initialization of the RevPi is stucked and never completed. I ask the the authors of Etcher for help in this case.
Afterwards I tried the suggested way from RevolutionPI https://revolutionpi.com/tutorials/imag ... ll-jessie/ but when I tried to write the image with Win32 Diskimager I get the error "Error 5: Access is Denied". Do you guys have an updated version of your flash install tutorial or are you guys aware of this issue and have a solution?
I found a youtube video regarding the Win32 disk imager error and a possible solution https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB4Sm3Dt9hI, but I'm not sure this is applyable with RevPi Core S and wanted to ask your guys whether this should be alright to do or not?
u.biakoup
KUNBUS
Answers: 2

Re: Can't Flash RevPi Core S with new image

Post by u.biakoup »

Dear customer,

Etcher: Try an update (CM4/CM4S need newer versions of Etcher and/or rpiboot)

Win32DiskImager: Error 5: Access is Denied". → User has no permissions to write to the device, please start the program as administrator.

But both is no problem from RevPi Core S.

Best Regards

Ulrich Kouatang Biakoup | Technical Support
evangelion2100

Post by evangelion2100 »

I'm pretty sure I upgraded all necessary software. I downloaded the most recent version of rpiboot as well as etcher (1.7.9). It is a known issue for the Etcher authors, that the current version of Etcher does not support cm4(s) https://github.com/balena-io/etcher/issues/3792.

Regarding the Win32 issue. I'm running Win32 as Administrator (Sorry, I didn't mention it) and I still get that error message.

I know it is not an issue of RevPi Core S hardware in itself, but your tutorial seems not to work as intended, if I'm not able to write an image to the RevPi Core S via Win32DiskImager as administrator.

What about the youtube video I linked in my first post? Would this be applicable for the RevPi Core S without any issues ?
Last edited by evangelion2100 on 23 Aug 2022, 09:24, edited 1 time in total.
nicolaiB
KUNBUS
Answers: 7

Post by nicolaiB »

Which exact version of rpiboot do you use? What is the output of rpiboot?

-Nicolai
evangelion2100

Post by evangelion2100 »

RPIBOOT: build-date Jul 18 2022 version 20220718~085937 5a25e04b
Waiting for BCM2835/6/7/2711...
Loading embedded: bootcode4.bin
Sending bootcode.bin
Successful read 4 bytes
Waiting for BCM2835/6/7/2711...
Loading embedded: bootcode4.bin
Second stage boot server
Loading embedded: start4.elf
File read: start4.elf
Second stage boot server done
nicolaiB
KUNBUS

Post by nicolaiB »

Looks like your rpiboot is fine (device is detected and msd should be available).

With Win32DiskImage you can choose the device from the list: Are there multiple partitions available? If your system is mounting the boot partition per default it can happen that it is not possible to write to it. This can be avoided if you choose the second partition instead (is a common problem with Windows and Win32DiskImage, not something we can influence from RevPi side)

-Nicolai
evangelion2100

Post by evangelion2100 »

I'm actually selecting the second listed device/drive Letter. It is the same letter when the explorer window pops up because it registered a new device and asks me whether I want to repair it or proceed without doing nothing.

It sounds like, you guys didn't encouter this issue during your testing phase, and I assume you guys tested your image writing tutorial with a RevPi Core S?
nicolaiB
KUNBUS

Post by nicolaiB »

As I already explained this is a problem with Win32DiskImage / Windows automounting the device. We don't have any influence on this. Does it work if you select the other device letter?

-Nicolai
evangelion2100

Post by evangelion2100 »

I understand you, that is not an issue with the RevPi Core S in itself. But I think it should be of interest of Kunbus to have a working tutorial regarding flashing their devices with images.

What about this point, that I mentioned in my first post. Do you guys have any idea whether this approach would work to fix the Win32DiskImages issue?
I found a youtube video regarding the Win32 disk imager error and a possible solution https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB4Sm3Dt9hI, but I'm not sure this is applyable with RevPi Core S and wanted to ask your guys whether this should be alright to do or not?
evangelion2100

Post by evangelion2100 »

Regarding
Does it work if you select the other device letter?
The other device letter would be the boot partition of the RevPi. I got the same error trying to write to this volume. But after I added Win32DiskImage to the application exception list of the ransomware security function of Window10 I was able to write the image on the boot volume. But the RevPi did not boot correctly as expected. I don't have any mini hdmi adapter at hand so I'm not sure what the issue is. But I know the network stack did not get initialize as expected. The network port leds don't light up.

I will try to write the image on a RevPi Core 3(+) to see whether I will have the same result.