revPI health status

Topics about the Hardware of Revolution Pi
Nils
Answers: 0

revPI health status

Post by Nils »

Dear community,

Is there a preferred way to get health statistics on a revPI Connect+ 32GB?
I am especially interested in the EEPROM status / its wear level on the compute module since I am running a small database on the revPI itself, which has quite some write actions.

I´ve tried smartctl, but that does not seem to work with revPI, it is asking to specify the type with the -d parameter, which I cannot provide. Do you know what to specify here?

Next, I´ve tried mmc-utils to read out the device parameters with 'mmc extcsd read /dev/root', which does provide an output parameter for the wear level:
eMMC Life Time Estimation A [EXT_CSD_DEVICE_LIFE_TIME_EST_TYP_A]: 0x02

According to some other source the EEPROM should be at a wear level of 10-20%.

Can you confirm that this also works for revPI or is there a better way to get the health status of a revPI?

Cheers,
Nils
giuseppe
KUNBUS

Re: revPI health status

Post by giuseppe »

Hello,
check this link Web Status for tmpfs.
Nils

Post by Nils »

Hi Guiseppe,

How exactly does that relate to my question?
Assuming you are referring to the health-status webpage at the very bottom of your link, that one only gives me some high-level information I can easily obtain via top/htop.

I am interested in the wear-level of the EEPROM, or am I missing something here?

Cheers,
Nils
giuseppe
KUNBUS

Post by giuseppe »

Hello Nils,
there is no EEPROM installed on the RevolutionPi Core 3 and Connect. The data is all stored in flash.

Note: if you want to spare the flash, you can store certain information (link in the above post) in RAM. The disadvantage of this is well known.

The flash memory is installed on the CM3 module. If you have any questions about this, contact Raspberry Pi support.

How to find out the current condition of the unit, we cannot provide you with any information at the moment.

Note: The Datasheet of the Connect can be found in the download area, where you can see which components are installed.
Downloads