64-bit Buster image?

Topics about the Hardware of Revolution Pi
kjkoster
Answers: 2

64-bit Buster image?

Post by kjkoster »

Dear Kunbus,

Can you please provide a 64-bit version of your Buster image for Revolution Pi?

We use InfluxDB for data collection. Lovely time series database, of course. Unfortunately, they dropped 32-bit support from their 2.x releases.

The Raspberry Pi 3 inside our Connect+'s support 64-bit operation, but it seems that your download site only provides 32-bit OS images. Can you please also provide a 64-bit image?

Failing that, can you please tell me what I should do to bake my own 64-bit image?

Kees Jan
nicolaiB
KUNBUS
Answers: 7

Re: 64-bit Buster image?

Post by nicolaiB »

Hi Kees,

Unfortunately I can't give you an ETA on a 64bit Image as our resources are bound in other projects like redesigns (chip shortage ...) or the CM4 based connect 4. There lots of moving parts (our kernel driver, patches, software) which have to taken into consideration. If you want to look into it, I suggest to start with the following repositories: kernel, piControl, kernelbakery and imagebakery (for building the image).

Nicolai
kjkoster
Answers: 2

Post by kjkoster »

Dear Nicolai,

While you sit around waiting for chips to be delivered, you should have more time available for non-hardware tasks, right? ;-)

Kidding aside: thank you for the pointers. Which of those do you expect to be easy and which of those do you expect to need special attention for use in 64-bit systems?

No promises, but if I were to publish instructions to make a 64-bit image, will you update your build systems to produce an official image, please?

Kees Jan
nicolaiB
KUNBUS

Post by nicolaiB »

Hoi Kees,

Sitting around would mean no products where you can install a 64bit image on. So not really an option ;-)

My first approach would be to make arm64/armv8 kernel without piControl and build an image (with imagebakery) based on the offical 64bit lite image. If you need IO modules your next step must be 64bit support for piControl.

Nicolai
nicolaiB
KUNBUS

Post by nicolaiB »

Hi Kees,

I spoke with one of our kernel developers and he provided me with some additional input for getting started:

For the v8 Kernel you first need to create a defconfig. The configs are located in ./arch/arm64/configs/. In order to create a new defconfig copy the respective one for your module (bcrmpi3_defconfig for CM3, bcm2711_defconfig for CM4S) and apply our patches. For the patches please have a look here https://github.com/RevolutionPi/linux/c ... _defconfig (for CM4S) and here https://github.com/RevolutionPi/linux/c ... _defconfig (for CM3)

Nicolai