Python 3.7 Security Support endet am 27.06.2023

Rund um die Software von Revolution Pi
mrau
Answers: 0

Python 3.7 Security Support endet am 27.06.2023

Post by mrau »

Debian Buster unterstützt Python in der Version 3.7. Der Security Support für Python 3.7 endet am 27.06.2023.
Wir haben eine größere Anzahl RevPi Connect im Einsatz und benötigen eine stabile Lösung für ein Upgrade auf >= Python 3.8.

Ideale Lösung wäre ein neue Image auf Basis Debian Bullseye.

Welche Lösung schlagen Sie vor?
kjkoster
Answers: 2

Re: Python 3.7 Security Support endet am 27.06.2023

Post by kjkoster »

Dear mrau,

We also use mostly Python 3, but have opted to run all our software in Docker containers. This has the added benefit of version locking all Python and system library dependencies. It also means we don't depend on things being a Revolution Pi as much (we have a mix of Revolution Pi, Unipi, Raspberry Pi and 'normal' PC's) of what precies OS we have.

Our setup has a docker-compose file for each system, with the run-time components in Docker. From a development perspective we mostly forget that each system is slightly different. System versioning is not a factor at all and things like UART naming is handled in docker-compose.

Happy to share details of our setup, if you are interested.

Kees Jan

PS. Sorry to reply in English. My German is does not reach beyond what I need to buy groceries.
mrau

Post by mrau »

Hi Jan,

thank you for your feedback. Docker is not my preferred solution, but I would like to take a closer look at your setup.
Does your solution have limitations regarding supported RevPi gateways or revpimodio2 support? We use Profinet IRT Gateway, Profibus Gateway, RevPi Connect.

BR Markus
kjkoster

Post by kjkoster »

Dear mrau,

What would you like to know? We don't use the gateway modules, but we map the RS485 UART into containers for Modbus applications. Besides that we do use a mix of AIO and MIO modules. Then we have revpipyload write all data into an MQTT bus as well as receive output values via MQTT. Everything except revpipyload runs in individual Docker containers.

I was not fond of Docker at first, but it really has no runtime overhead that I can measure. I've gone from running everything on the bare metal (and having to deal with systemd) to running all in containers.

Let me know if there is any code you'd like me to show. The repo is not public, but I can share bits and pieces if they help you.

Kees Jan
steffensow

Post by steffensow »

Hey Jan,

since I am struggling with the same issue, I would very much appreciate if you could share your docker-compose.yaml or any info on the docker image you use. Thanks in advance!

Steffen
kjkoster

Post by kjkoster »

Dear All,

I thought that maybe the best way to share this is to have a showcase project that you can clone and extend or rewrite for your own purposes. That's why answering took a little while, sorry.

https://github.com/kjkoster/revpi-docke ... qtt-blinky

Hope you find it useful.

Kees Jan
dirk
KUNBUS
Answers: 4

Post by dirk »

Hi mrau, since we unfortunately don't have a Bullseye release yet, I can show you the following ways:

Every major release of Debian comes with a certain Python version. If you need a different Python version you can either try to compile the newer Python version (but there might be problems because other system components depend on /usr/bin/python3 and expect a certain version)

or as already suggested in the forum by Kees Jan Koster run the application (if the use case allows it) in a Docker container. With Docker containers, for example, any Python versions can also be run side by side.